Your Online Trail Report and Travel Guide for ATVs the U.S. & Canada
Your Online Trail and Travel Guide for ATV the U.S. & Canada

Trail Report: Hayward, Wisconsin – May 4, 2023

Trail Conditions: Closed

Date of Report: May 4, 2023
Area Report:

May 4, 2023

County for trails (dark green on map) open May 15th. The exception – 9 Mile loop is open.
Flambeau Forest (orange area on map) opens May 15th.
Chequamegon National Forest (light green on map) opens May 26th – this includes the dead horse.
What IS open now – the Tuscobia (trail 10). There are some washouts and trail work that will be planned but it is open, again the 9 Mile Loop off the Tuscobia is also open.
Roads/routes that are NOT forest roads are open.
LCO roads are NOT open yet. There needs to be a green light for signage to happen with the changes, we have not been given that yet and do not have an ETA, we hope soon and will update as soon as anything changes. These LCO changes will be reflected on Trail Treker, Avenza and Polaris once completed, they will NOT be reflected on the paper map until new maps come out late fall. There will also be good signage.
Until the 15th you are limited but there are trails to ride. Only about a week and the season will begin.

In the meantime – make sure you are ready to ride!  See below about registrations and non-resident trail passes.  

All annual ATV and UTV trail passes are shipped by US Mail to the address specified. You will receive a temporary operating receipt when you place your order, which allows you to legally use your vehicle immediately.

ATVs and UTVs registered in Wisconsin – no trail pass required.
Nonresidents may choose to register their ATV or UTV in Wisconsin which costs $30 for a two-year registration. Go to to register online. You can then print your temporary operating receipt, which will allow you to legally use your vehicle immediately. You can also complete the Wisconsin All-Terrain and Utility Terrain Vehicle Application and send by mail, but you must wait for your registration decals to arrive before you can legally operate your ATV or UTV.
Questions? Call the DNR Call Center at 1-888-936-7463

Please contact the Chequamegon National Forest’s District Recreational Info at 715-634-4821 for additional questions.  For the Flambeau State Forest call 715-332-5271.  

Non-Resident Trail Passes are required for ATVs.  (WI residents do not need a trail pass but are required to display their registration sticker.)

State law requires ATVs to always operate with headlights on.

Sawyer County allows the use of Side by Sides on ALL ATV TRAILS, including those in the Chequamegon National Forest.