Four Season Riding
The Iron County Forest is open for ATV/UTV adventure in all four seasons. Typically, the ATV/UTV trails are open from mid-May through March 31 or when the trails close for the winter season. In the winter, ATVs and UTVs are allowed on the trails when the temperature is 32 degrees or colder. Winter trails are available through the cooperation of the White Thunder Riders and the Mercer Sno Goers.
Things to know and tips to be aware of:
- Hours of ATV adventures and camaraderie in one of Wisconsin’s most picturesque settings
- 120 miles of well-maintained Iron County Forest trails, with access to hundreds of miles of routes in Vilas, Price, and Ashland County, Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula, Michigan
- Waterfall viewing and scenic overlooks
- Well-marked trails winding through forest and fields
- Local bars, gas stations, lodging, and restaurants on ATV routes and town roads open to ATV traffic
- Day parking for trailers is available near the railroad grade in downtown Mercer off Trail 17
- All children under the age of 18 must have a minimum DOT Standard motorcycle or ATV helmet. Bicycle helmets are NOT legal.
- Visit GoWild.wi.gov for information on regulations, licenses and trail passes.