Your Online Trail Report and Travel Guide for ATVs the U.S. & Canada
Your Online Trail and Travel Guide for ATV the U.S. & Canada

Trail Report: Hayward, Wisconsin – April 27, 2023

Trail Conditions: Closed

Date of Report: April 27, 2023
Area Report:

April 27, 2023 

Our State, County and Federal forest trails are currently closed for annual spring thaw and will remain closed until further notice. 

Depending upon how Mother Nature treats us this spring, each forest manager will let us know when their trails are open – usually around the beginning of May, and then we will report the openings to our ATV crowd. 

Recent Updates as of 4/27/2023 :

Trail opening for the Chequamegon National Forest (light green area on map – includes the Dead Horse) has been postponed by forestry. Their official announcement reads as follows: “

Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest motorized trail re-openings will be delayed until May 25, 2023 due to weather-related safety concerns.
Due to safety and resource concerns caused by lingering snowpack and high water in areas, the re-opening of trails in the CNNF will be delayed until 5/25/23. Precautions are being taken to ensure trails are re-opened safely.”

Any questions please direct them to their forestry department via their Facebook Page – U.S. Forest Service – Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest or via email from their website

In the meantime – make sure you are ready to ride!  See below about registrations and non-resident trail passes.  

Be patient – we will all be hitting the trails soon! 

All annual ATV and UTV trail passes are shipped by US Mail to the address specified. You will receive a temporary operating receipt when you place your order, which allows you to legally
use your vehicle immediately.
ATVs and UTVs registered in Wisconsin – no trail pass required.
Nonresidents may choose to register their ATV or UTV in Wisconsin which costs $30 for a two-year registration. Go to to register online. You can then print your temporary operating receipt, which will allow you to legally use your vehicle immediately. You can also complete the Wisconsin All-Terrain and Utility Terrain Vehicle Application and send by mail, but you must wait for your registration decals to arrive before you can legally operate your ATV or UTV.
Questions? Call the DNR Call Center at 1-888-936-7463

Please contact the Chequamegon National Forest’s District Recreational Info at 715-634-4821 for additional questions.  For the Flambeau State Forest call 715-332-5271.  

Non-Resident Trail Passes are required for ATVs.  (WI residents do not need a trail pass but are required to display their registration sticker.)

State law requires ATVs to always operate with headlights on.

Sawyer County allows the use of Side by Sides on ALL ATV TRAILS, including those in the Chequamegon National Forest.